Visitors

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

SO LONG, GARRY

July 19, 2016
For the first time since winter solstice, I didn't have time to take my daily photo. In the series, I guess there will be just a blank space.  I've been working all day on the art project that will go into the LAMAG next month. It's due on Saturday and I've taken my time getting it together. Now, the push is on.

//

Garry Marshall!  A Mensch!

After all day on the deck with the work, I come in to find that Garry Marshall has died of pneumonia after suffering a stroke!  I chatted with him at the opening of the new show at his Falcon Theatre in Burbank just a month ago. He was bright and present and alive. He was 81.

His praises will be sung from the heights of Hollywood celebrities to the guys he played slow pitch softball with, so my personal eulogy will be short.  Every time I saw him at an opening at the Falcon, he was gracious and happy to greet his opening night audience.  The buffet he put on for after the show is legendary for its meatballs and shrimp: a feast!  We chatted after the show (Tennessee Williams Unscripted  an excellent production by Impro Theatre).  He had the unique quality of being present when you spoke with him, though there were dozens of folks who wanted to say Hello and to thank him for his generosity.  

He was 81 and evidently, did not linger.  That, to me, is a good death, however,  it would have been much more fun to have a few more feature films and to see him time and again at The Falcon.  

I think we weep for ourselves when someone special dies.  That's what I'm doing now..  with condolences to Barbara and his family.. We all have lost a real friend. 

July 19, 2016
michael sheehan  

1 comment:

  1. I had the pleasure to know Garry and family as a youngster playing baseball with his son, Scott, who I'm sure is working through the loss of his legendary father. The Marshall house had a viberent glow and drew many into its dwelling. I know Garry had much to do with that. Television and film have lost a true pioneer. He will be missed. Love and condolences to the Marshall family during this difficult process. I will celebrate the life of the man I knew.

    ReplyDelete