Visitors

Friday, July 22, 2016

HALF A BRICK!!

July 22, 2016

The 'connections' we make on FB make up a considerable part of my connection to the 'outside world.'   I do my best to avoid hearing the voice of the GOP candidate but it's almost unavoidable right now. Frightening.   An actor I have not met, but was friended by on Facebook  posted something that struck a chord with me and brought back a memory of something I heard some time ago.  I don't know who first said it, but it is true, to me:  "More damage with half a brick than with a whole one!"  Thus, half truths are extremely harmful and more's the pity that when this kind of mud is flung, the dirt sticks: the FALSE analogy is what makes it seem true.

We have all had a discussion with someone who based their premise on an analogy that we know is true to them, but may not be true to us.  It's insidious because if you believe with all your heart, for instance, that a young man a hundred and fifty years ago was visited by an angel and shown 'the Truth' and that becomes your truth, then,  TO YOU.. it is irrefutable!  I make this specific analogy that is not true to me because I'm reading a revealing book by Jon Krakauer "Under The Banner of Heaven." There are folks who believe the story of an angel visitation.  I have my doubts.  Critical thinking is difficult when we are influenced from early childhood to believe what we are carefully taught.

As the next few weeks reveal themselves, I hope that critical thinking: reason and intelligence will prevail.  My thoughts may be wonky to others.  Somewhere there must be a way to find harmony, to get over hurtful issues and to have some fun. I'm being punished by someone right now.   I wish I was more optimistic.  Personal turmoil takes precedence more than I like.  Life goes on and then it doesn't.

I deliver the artwork to the LAMAG Open Call tomorrow.  It's almost done! The show opens August 14, 2016.  Five hundred plus artists and their invitees will be there. Join the crowd or leave me a message and I'll meet  you in Hollywood almost any Thursday through Sunday until September 18th. 

July 22, 2016
michaelsheehan 
Full size working model

Finished work 32" x 32" x 8"

Kanji Calligraphy by Jill Bell

Message by Louis Braille

Message by JC via Sam Morse

Photos by me. Contributed artwork by Mary Mac,  SC, R and KoolKat





No comments:

Post a Comment