Visitors

Wednesday, July 6, 2016

PRODIGAL MOON

July 6, 2016

Having discovered the writer, Karen Russell's short story, The Bog, in a recent New Yorker magazine, I got a copy of her book of short stories, Vampires in the Lemon Grove. Gosh! I am finding new ways to see the world.  Ms Russell's imagination is vivid and from far out in left field!  Just amazing writing.  The term "prodigal moon" is hers.  When I think of the moon and it's ever changing visage, when the full moon comes again and happens to rise on the horizon, reminding me that life goes on and that when the time is right, that big old moon shining like anything, a beacon that on a clear night one could read by.. is welcome.  

Yikes!!! "Prodigal" has the opposite meaning of what I thought it meant!  That gives a reason to rethink everything.  I always thought it meant  that in the Bible story that the son who had returned, 'the prodigal son,' was welcomed by his father and that 'prodigal' had to do with a welcoming return!  No!  A 'prodigal' is a spendthrift and wasteful!  

Yesterday I was prompted to learn about Erwin Schrödinger, his 'cat' and quantum theory.  Today a vocabulary lesson. 

Lessons!

July 6, 2016
michaelsheehan

 

No comments:

Post a Comment