Visitors

Saturday, July 23, 2016

BLUE HULA / THE BIG DAY








July 23, 2016
Uncle Bill was a carney.. amongst other things.. brilliant and kind. With his in-laws he ran cotton candy, snow cones and some carnival games and attractions. He traveled all over creation.  I remember being  embarrassed to see my older cousin Bill, Jr. running the softball-in-the-peach basket game. Three balls for a quarter!  Looking like an extra in The Wild One, he had a pack of Luckies rolled up in his Tshirt sleeve. He chuckled  as I hustled by the  game pretending that I didn't know him.  Sylvan days on the carnival midway on the Fourth of July. Of course, he called me by my name! 
In the off season, the family would crank  out  cheap plaster prizes, including this shapely hula dancer.  She came  all painted head to toe with a 'grass' skirt and maybe a lei to modestly present her perky breasts.  I do so love this girl.  

/// 

After being unable to sleep last night and writing that memory of my mom's brother and his family, I finally did sleep and got up early to complete the artwork for the LAMunicipal Art Gallery Open Call.  The staff has been wonderful and even allowed me to assemble my own piece.  Thanks to Jeannie Pool, I had materials that all of a sudden presented themselves to save a lot of time.  The work is a bit make shift, but that was mostly my intention.  I still have a little to do on it and shall get to it next week.  With the trouble that I am currently weathering, I was lucky to have the project to focus on.  Whether I'll be able to get out of trouble is now up for grabs. I'm of the opinion that for people whom we truly care for, finding a way to communicate, even after harsh words, must be possible. It takes a strong desire, of course... and it takes two to tango.  I allude to this situation here, because the person I am in trouble with won't tell me a good time to call.  The last time I called I was hung up on and that smarts!  

Ultimately, we all have to have survival modes.  Being physically safe is primary, of course.  Being emotionally safe is almost equally important.  Respect for each others safety is a good thing!

I loaded my artwork into the gallery today at noon.  Here are some photos of the piece in the drive way and then some photos 'in situa.'  Boy. the smaze from the fires is dramatic and a bit scary..  I took an early AM photo and then finished the piece and loaded it into the bus.  The work in this show is so eclectic! Over 500 artists!  The theme is 'Play' and the artwork I saw today ran the gamut from great junk to well crafted paintings. 

I do not anticipate that for friends to come to the opening would be a good idea on August 14th because with over 500 artists participating, if each of us invites one or two others.. do that math for a mob.. and and and.. the park is overrun with Pokemon Go seekers!  Today, dozens of people all bent over their pokephones were crusing the park. That meant that parking, which is normally not a big deal on a Saturday...  was dear!

Come Play!  I'll be happy to meet anyone during the run of the show from August 18 to the closing in mid September.  Noon to five on Thursdays through Sundays.  Email or call me?




This presentation is upside down.. sorry.
 Somehow this one is in correct order.  It's Braile. Turn your head to the left 90 degrees.  Then, it reads left to right. The first cell is 1, 3, 4. 

123 is the left column and 456 is the right colums in the cell. 

Wonky, but in order starting with the upside down 'L' 


Another view of the text. Click to enlarge.

Morse Code all wonky  dit da dit dit, da da da, dit dit dit da, dit!

Zen Art
   I've decided to not invite gallery visitors  to draw or write on these cubes.  I'll call it 'zen' and leave it at that. Chatting with Mark Lucero, one of the gallery installers, he came up with reasons that chalk might be an issue.   He participated, along with several of the other folks at the LAMAG in the Julyfourthproject four years ago and is a very nice guy.  So.. zen and art.  I might add some 'Xs' and 'Os' for people to play tic tack toe with.. I keep having more ideas even though the piece is basically done. 

Make art. Forgive others and stay cool! In every sense of that word!!

July 23, 2016
michaelsheehan 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment