Visitors

Friday, January 1, 2016

HAPPY NEW YEAR SWEET SIXTEEN!

Happy New Year!  2016

Just missed the nasty skywriting!   Dang it!

Thank goodness that Bob and Stephanie are now in repeat for late risers like me for the Rose Parade.  It's a bitter sweet (sixteen?) day as this is the last Rose Parade that Bob Eubanks and Stephanie Edwards will host for Channel Five.  It's a mixed bag... at least for me.  Eubanks is the   quintessential Game Show Host (emphasis mine) whom I admire and at the same time am jealous of.  His big claim to fame, passing Chuck Barris's The Newly Wed Game,  by a mile, is to have produced a new band for the Hollywood Bowl, The Beatles. 1964.  Gosh.. over fifty years: half a century.. he noted redundantly..  Fifty years.  

Eubanks stentorian voice rings... well... stentorious and the gorgeous Stephanie Edwards is gracious as always.  This colorful spectacle has rolled down Colorado Boulevard for 127 years. It's a tradition that ushers in the New Year in ever blossoming splendor.  Gosh.. I sound like the PR tout for the Tournament of Roses.  Having never attended I should be respectful.  It's tradition!  A beauty of a day today.

How these literally thousands of kids playing in bands make it the entire five and a half miles is impressive.  One big old band from Texas had over seven hundred members!  

Time marches on.   Trader Joe's wins a prize!  Fantasy! That's a win that I appreciate.  Love Trader Joe's.

Finally.. Stephanie Edwards' energy and spunky attitude prevail.  We corresponded briefly when she was released from her contract as spokesperson for .. Von's?  Ralph's?  I have forgotten the store.  Ageism?  Yep.  Whether she's had some 'work done' is irrelevant.  The lady is a very nice person and is looking great today on her final time in the barrel. 

Leeza Gibbons and a guy named Mark Something will host next year.  Never heard of Mark.  Leeza has a secret and I am not sworn to secrecy!  hah.. Hollywood gossip!  Boy! That brings back a whole other story!  Ulp. 

I wish the nasty skywriters had flown through my little window of blue that I'm sharing with you daily. Suffice it to say that I really don't like politics, but am sure that the agenda of the rich will deep six the United States quicker than quick. 

A lyric from a show I took my high school theatre students to in the sixties (Holly Hansen lost her ticket, but they let us in anyway!) at The Aquarius Theatre in Hollywood is my wish for us all for this New Year and every year:  
"Then Peace will guide the planets... and Love will steer the stars.." 

Hug someone.  Peace. 

michaelsheehan
January 1, 2016 

PS.  The squarish building in the right center of this afternoon's photo is a huge house on Princeton Drive that I have always called "The Shoe Factory." This name spinning from an early video that Gar Campbell made with one of the first 8mm camcorders. He made up a narrative that had to do with a 'shoe factory' where ever he was shooting the video that was really impressive.  Hand held and silly.  He showed it at Susan Gelb's home a long time ago. I remember that the video was dark and there might have been water.  So, in his honor, I dubbed this home The Shoe Factory, too.  The hill changes color almost by the minute as the sun sets behind my side of the hill.  I love the shadows and later the lights that pop up all over that side of the hill.  It's a chilly New Years Night.  Here's to a Sweet 'Sixteen for each and every one of us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment