Visitors

Thursday, January 28, 2016

RUGG BIRTHDAY DINNER DAY

January 28, 2016
For many years the Hawk Gal and I have celebrated our birthdays with our good friend, Ken Rugg.  Rugg has moved up to Paradise.. aka Inverness, California, with his loving daughter Shelley Rugg.  I have known the Rugg family since the sixties and Rugg himself actually is responsible for helping to put me onto the pathway I've been so fortunate to be on for all these years. 
Rugg waiting for Bread Pudding at Mimi's
  

Actually, Rugg and Linda (Hawk Gal) were celebrating each others' birthdays for a while, just the two of them. Then I horned my way into the mix.  We've enjoyed lunches and dinners and a trip to Disneyland and The Medieval Times attraction and good times for more than twenty years.  Now that Rugg is far away, Linda and I will celebrate his day together; raise a glass and give him a call.  I miss him so much.. in so many ways.  

Last night I took the Jeopardy! test and answered about forty of the fifty questions.  It's tough!  I've passed the test in the past and never made it onto the show.  My ego gets involved and I just have to give it a shot.  The producers take a year to let you know if you've passed and if too many folks pass, it may come down to the luck of a draw.  If you have not passed, you just never know.   Sheesh.. 

Virgil wrote the Aeneid!   I forgot it on the test! Okay. maybe I never knew it in the first place... 

On another important note:   
Steve Julian: playwright, great KPCC radio guy, loving husband... has an inoperable cancerous brain tumor.  His wonderful wife, Felicia, has announced that they will stop treatment and spend time being alive instead of stressed by all the medical procedures that only prolong the Inevitable.  Felicia is articulate and kind and includes her current life with Steve with Facebook posts.  

Currently, I'm reading Alan Watts' book Tao: The Watercourse Way.   It provides insights regarding life and death from Eastern Thought that most of us in the West have a hard time accepting.  I hope that Felicia and Steve will find moments of joy and laughter and that we all will respect and honor their situation with love. 
January 28, 2016
michaelsheehan  


No comments:

Post a Comment