Visitors

Friday, January 8, 2016

FRIDAY! THE RETURN OF THE KING

Friday..  January 8, 2016
The water weight of the recent storm changed the complexion of the trees.  It's been dry for a day and now the 'gorilla' just above The Shoe Factory seems to be back to his old self with that long thing sticking above his head. I'm coming to really appreciate my neighborhood. Just now I'm remembering the first time I came here in 1986 to an Oscar Party at the Miller's home up the street.  A great party!  That's when I  found my home with this view that I've been posting since the winter solstice. 

I'm distracted now by a 1972 movie: The Outside Man, shot on the streets of LA, Hollywood and Venice.  Seeing old LA and the cars of the period is a special treat.  A 1960 VW pickup just cruised by!! Yay!  Scheider plays a hit man. His assignment: kill Jean-Louis Trintignant (a French hit man).   Ann Margaret plays a gorgeous waitress/hooker. There's a '59 Jaguar! Cops show up in early '70s black and whites.  Scheider steals a cop car!  Code Three chase! There's some horizontal distortion that elongates the carrrs. 

Uh oh..
Weight loss supplements commercial with disclaimers in the tiny print.  But wait!! 

I'm reminding myself of something I read about an old writer/VO pal, Lorenzo Music.  He was a wonderful talent... (car chase over the canals in Venice airborn! Scheider gets away. Adjusts his tie).. One time it was reported that Lorenzo was at the typewriter working to come up with stories for The Bob Newhart Show looking for inspiration by just narrating his day.  Then it came down to his realization that he was just writing that he was writing!  IBM Selectric!  I remember that sound.

Oooh.. Angie Dickenson plays a baddie! Ann Margaret kisses Jean-Louis goodbye. No TSA. Light traffic at the airport.  Ann Margaret's pink 1958 TBird! (It's a '65.. I was just testing you!)  This is a wonderful time capsule of the seventies.   
Motel with Queen sized bed: $14.00! No luggage? Ten bucks in ADVANCE! CASH!!

Hope the Glendale trash truck comes back for my barrel full of palm fronds! 
January 8, 2016
michaelsheehan

No comments:

Post a Comment