Visitors

Wednesday, October 5, 2016

JEOPARDY!



October 5, 2016

When I started this journal four years ago on October 10th, my focus was on clouds.  For  a while I'd find them when and where I could and shoot a quick photo.   We are missing moisture here for a long time now and on the TV news they feature some homeowner having sod installed and sprinklers to make it nice and green.  As I make my personal effort to save water, it makes me wonder how folks, in this terrible time of no rain, decide to increase their usage by hundreds of gallons?  

//
For three days Jeopardy! puts up their annual search for contestants on line.  In the old days one would go to the studio where the test was administered and the culling would immediately begin.  From a hundred hopefuls, maybe twenty would emerge. They never tell you how many out of the fifty questions you must answer you have to get right to make the cut.

The remainder of the hopefuls would be given interviews and would play the game again more like the game on TV. Then, they'd send everyone away with no idea if they'd be on the show.

The on line method has contestants typing in answers quickly and not having an opportunity to go back. Boink! At the studio, Alex Trebek would read the clue (about three seconds) and then, you'd have fifteen seconds to write your response.  The on line test makes me read the question for myself and then type in the 'question' (that doesn't have to be in the form of a question! thank goodness).
I love this show and have actually passed the test in the past, but was never invited to play.   I wonder how much information I've retained from just watching the show!?? hah.. 

///

Daily, I go to FB and delete every photo and most references to the election.  One month to go and I just wish it was over today.  Tried to watch Kaine / Pence last night and was so disgusted that I just turned it off and called my pal, Duncan, in Colorado. We had a nice chat  I think that rude behavior is contagious.  If one guy gets feisty and the poor moderator has NO CONTROL.. then the chaos is exacerbated by who's most macho.  Bad form, sez me. 

My solution?  The moderator (or the TV director) has a switch that cuts the camera and the mic of the person going over the time limit by ten seconds.  The moderator also has a large squirt gun to soak the offender.  In fairness, the candidates get squirt guns, too.  
SNL?  My gift to you! 

I'll take that Jeopardy! test tonight. Wish me luck!

October 5, 2016
michaelsheehan

No comments:

Post a Comment