Visitors

Thursday, October 20, 2016

DUCK AND COVER




October 20, 2016 

My titles for this daily missive come out of the blue.  "Duck and Cover" of course, is what we were taught as kids to do when the atom bomb was exploding..  or maybe when the big old killer earthquake hits.  

Reeling from this darned political stuff which I do my best to avoid, I paraphrase Stephen Colbert from last night.  The republicant says, "No one has more respect for women than I do..."  Then, Mrs. Clinton makes a little crack about his avoiding taxes and he inserts himself close on the mic, "That's a nasty woman!"   I see on TV this morning that there are now T shirts referencing support for the 'nasty woman!'  

 It's a frightening time for the United States.  Not that the republicant is a loose cannon, but that there are supposedly intelligent U.S. citizens who really believe that this person would be a good leader of our country.  That some of them become apoplectic when discussing politics is terrifying! 

 I hate feeling sucked into this debate and really hate the feeling that almost half of the population of our country still thinks like folks did a hundred and fifty years ago!  And!!  I really don't like the word 'hate!'

new m&ms!

Still figuring out the focus on this new camera


 Wheee.. Thanks to John Langdon for inspired big rock balancing. I love the way that this idea is at the mercy of nature 

and critters.

Gloria Gunn is the inspiration for the yellow and green M&Ms.  We'll see how they evolve. That's   the beauty of the art.
///
I seem to be focused on gravity and time a lot these days: unavoidable attrition.  I just hope that the 'gravity' of our looming election leaves us all a bit lighter after the threat of doom and gloom is lifted just before 'The Holidays' and all the "comfort and joy" that they may bring?!

///

Funny.. I was not thinking about the Great California Shakeout when I decided on Duck and Cover for the subject of this post. Right now, on the Channel Five News, Lucy Jones, a seismologist  from Cal Tech, talks about swarms of quakes and we cut to kids cowering under their desks!  Serendipity!  Just have a week's worth of water and food stashed and hope for the best, sez me.  Where did I put that canned chili? Take a cue from Cormac McCarthy's The Road and fill the bathtub with water, too. Make sure the drain doesn't leak!

October 20, 2016
michaelsheehan


 

No comments:

Post a Comment