Visitors

Sunday, October 2, 2016

AUCH DU TOBER!

October 2, 2016

Overcast days leave no shadows.

I am still slightly reeling from my all too brief visit with nine of the nicest people I've ever met. Still waiting to remember the names of the couple from Illinois and the man from Canada.. Just super human beings.. not superhuman, though it's not out of the question.  

///

Turning on the TV for company with the sound off is colorful lighting and I can practice lip reading.  Many football players make gestures to the sky after making a touchdown or before kicking a field goal.  If I were God.. (and whose to say we are not?)..  would I play favorites? Well, maybe Notre Dame?   I like silent 'prayer' (good thoughts). It's private, me talking to myself to make myself feel better?  Routine?  Comfort?  With whom do I commune? hmm.

On my tour of Hollywood a couple of days ago, walking by Christ the King church, an older Hispanic woman paused at the doorway and crossed herself.  This gesture I see in the football players, too, is automatic.  Where do superstition and religion part company?  Or do they?  It feels good to think of someone we love or care about in a 'prayer.'  The Universe may be listening.. are we listening to ourselves? Our Self? Who is the Universal Self?  the "US?" 

Still in trouble with my taciturn friend, I whine a bit about this here from time to time and truly wish that the issues that make us stickerly could be calmly discussed and to find harmony.  As long as any of us hold on to the crap that caused the issue, there we are.  Stickerly and stuck.

The idea to 'install' my work from the recent show in Hollywood is of growing interest to me.  The sixteen blocks are not heavy, but bulky and stacking them can be problematic without the big table.   Working alone.. as I am wont to do..  makes constructing time consuming. I wonder why I am so independent?    Reminded now of the wonderful movie, Amelie with Audre Tatou.   She sent a garden gnome around the world and had photos sent back from well known sites.  So, do I "install" my work at other arts venues for the photo op? 

To me the current ability of anyone to take photos with no film.. virtually no limit to the number of photos we can take and then manipulate them a zillion ways is phenomenal.  It's really magic, right? 

GAME: almost in the Brand 44 Works on Paper Show!

El Mirador with ugly flying saucers and art!
Love those  shadows! 


















Why the designers who spent millions on the re-do of the Brand Library and galleries chose modern flying saucer lights totally antithetical to the original design of the park is a mystery.  It's still a lovely park if you just ignore the lighting. 

October 2, 2016
michaelsheehan

 

No comments:

Post a Comment