Visitors

Friday, September 2, 2016

WYNKEN, BLINKEN.... AND... NOD // SERENDIPITY

September 2, 2016

Sometimes opportunities get dropped right into our laps.  The trick, of course, is to understand what's happening and take advantage of it.  Or!!  Just go with it.  I guess really understanding the importance of a special moment comes with reflection.  

The serendipity of life has always been interesting to me.  There are doors that are opening and closing all the time.  

I have a friend.. well.. he's really just an acquaintance: the son of an old friend in Colorado. He seems to be conservative in his politics, hopefully not as conservative as his dad, who pledges his love of the Tangerine.  In recent exchange with Geoff, I remembered a day that his dad and I and another friend went skiing at an easy hill, Loveland Basin, on the east side of Loveland Pass.  All of the moments that led my pals from one stop to another were timed with them  meeting, then picking me up and then our drive to the ski area and the day's evolution.   No one was  planning what happened, we were just out on a day of skiing.  As Tom and I approached the chair lift to head up for a run, down came a snow bunny in a sky blue parka with fur trim.  Her face was really pink from the bluster of the day. She was  either twenty or forty, but she was really cute!  Tom maneuvered his way into an introduction and she abandoned her date to ride on the lift with him.  I was stuck with her date!

Cut to a discussion that always has two opposing sides with this guy, Geoff.  It occurred to me that had the timing of the day gone just seconds differently one way or the other, the meeting of the cute snow bunny might never have happened.  She, of course, became Geoff's mom with my pal, Tom. Reminds me of a great German film, "Run, Lola, Run!"  Timing!

Serendipity!

//  

Then!!   Many years ago, a tune came to me that was inspired by an old nursery rhyme.  I worked it out on my dulcimer and love playing it now and then.  I never knew the author's name and though I'd read it, in memory was never able to remember the entire thing.  Today! Today!! Pat Willson posted the whole poem on Facebook and now I have it for reference!  I can't read the words without hearing the tune.

Wynken, Blynken, and Nod
by Eugene Field

Wynken, Blynken, and Nod one night
Sailed off in a wooden shoe,-
Sailed on a river of crystal light
Into a sea of dew.
"Where are you going, and what do you wish?"
The old moon asked the three.
"We have come to fish for the herring-fish
That live in this beautiful sea;
Nets of silver and gold have we,”
Said Wynken,
Blynken,
And Nod.
The old moon laughed and sang a song,
As they rocked in the wooden shoe;
And the wind that sped them all night long
Ruffled the waves of dew;
The little stars were the herring-fish
That lived in the beautiful sea.
"Now cast your nets wherever you wish,-
Never afraid are we!"
So cried the stars to the fishermen three,
Wynken,
Blynken,
And Nod.
All night long their nets they threw
To the stars in the twinkling foam,-
Then down from the skies came the wooden shoe,
Bringing the fishermen home:
'Twas all so pretty a sail, it seemed
As if it could not be;
And some folk thought 'twas a dream they'd dreamed
Of sailing that beautiful sea;
But I shall name you the fishermen three:
Wynken,
Blynken,
And Nod.
Wynken and Blynken are two little eyes,
And Nod is a little head,
And the wooden shoe that sailed the skies
Is a wee one's trundle-bed;
So shut your eyes while Mother sings
Of wonderful sights that be,
And you shall see the beautiful things
As you rock in the misty sea
Where the old shoe rocked the fishermen three:-
Wynken,
Blynken,
And Nod.


//
Have an adventure today?

September 2, 2016
michaelsheehan



No comments:

Post a Comment