Visitors

Saturday, September 3, 2016

WHEN IS A PINT NOT A PINT? FIND A RITE AID STORE!


September 3, 2016

I love Thrifty Ice Cream.  It may not have the butter fat content of Ben and Jerry's or Haggen Dazs' but up until tonight, it was a fave and a bargain.  The rant below is what I sent to Rite Aid complaining about being cheated out of about forty percent of the ice cream that I thought I'd purchased..  We'll see if they respond and what kind of an excuse they may come up with.  If a container states One Pint, it must contain sixteen ounces.  Ironically, filling one of these containers with water weighs one pound: sixteen ounces.  

The Federal Government has rules about this sort of thing and notwithstanding contradiction by Geoff Hayden (of course!) and my friend, David Reger (What??) I think that it's pretty clear that if you have a pint of ice cream or a quart of milk, they will weigh sixteen ounces and 32 ounces respectively.  I hope that my disappointing experience with Thrifty Ice Cream is just a mistake that will be rectified by the company. Here's chapter and verse: 


///
 Dear Rite Aid:

I have enjoyed your Thrifty Ice Cream for many years.  Tonight, my local RiteAid had a 2 for $4.00 deal on pints PINTS.. of your ice cream.  On removing the "Pints" from the freezer, they felt light to me, but it was a deal!  When you label anything with a weight or liquid measure, that is what the buyer is bargaining for.  These so called "pints" had actually only about 9.5 ounces of ice cream in them.  The container is labeled One Pint.  Sixteen ounces.  

To have the contents reduced by almost half is not playing fair.  Also, the texture of this ice cream is not like the same product I have enjoyed in the past.  Of course, you are aerating the mixture to fill up the pint container and cheating the buyer out of what used to be a bargain product that tasted really good.  This practice is unacceptable.  Some producers of ice cream, like Dreyer's .. are cheating in another way.  Reducing the size of the half gallon carton to 1.5 quarts:  labeling the contents in small print and selling for the same price as the original half gallon.  This is wrong, too, but at least the buyer has access to correct information. 

I bought two 'pint' cartons of ice cream and received about eighteen ounces of product. This is cheating and wrong and I am very disappointed.  I have a large readership on Facebook and shall report this tomorrow.  If you rectify this cheating and tell me in writing that you will pack a full pint of ice cream into your one pint containers, I'll report that, too. 

The ice cream that I bought tonight also was melting at an incredible rate.  If you have to boost the cost of your product to make ends meet, then just be honest and do it.  To reduce the weight of a pint and fill it with air is just plain cheating!!  

Your immediate response and rectification of my loss shall be appreciated. 

///
grrr.. 
Another windmill or a class action suit? 

September 3, 2016
michaelsheehan

1 comment:

  1. Yes filled by air to create volume to fill pint container with less than a pint. Probably not the same recipe as well. No more Thrifty Ice Cream. :(

    ReplyDelete