Visitors

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

BUMPER STICKER MENTALITY?

September 21, 2016

Aphorisms are the bumper sticker truths that most of us can take in at a glance and apply to our lives. The danger, of course, is that as "true" as any bumper sticker might certainly be, if we take time to give these quips some thought, it may lead us to deeper understanding of living our lives more thoughtfully.  

Some folks feel attacked if you say "Hi! How are ya?" and wonder what we meant by that! People with serious philosophical points of view may carry a chip on their shoulder, too. Bottom line is that harmony is only achieved when we take the time to get beneath the surface and understand what's going on with other people.  If we really don't care about them, then, it's a brush off.  If we do, we take time to ask questions and come up with an understanding.. which sometimes is that we just don't, can't or don't want to agree.  Basic minds will resort to name calling and dismissals.  We see this in the jingoistic mind set that simplifies the current (though thankfully fading) issue of standing for the National Anthem into a "love it or leave it"  response. 

I took issue with the source of a nice aphorism that was attributed to a former radio psychologist who in public had expressed a negative opinion regarding African Americans as well as the LGBT community from her outspoken bully pulpit. The aphorism had to do with the freedom to make a choice but the reality of having to live with it.   I think that we are all responsible for the choices that we make but there are exceptions to every rule, even this one.  What I objected to was the attribution of the quip to the bigoted radio woman. I wonder if it was original to her?  It turned into name calling by a man whom I have known for many years and rancor that seemed to come from an angry place, which, to me, is the antithesis of what the teachings of Christ are all about.  

The missed understandings that are inherent in the simplistic communication of texts and tweets and FB blurbs are just a shame.  Hackles get raised and the need to be 'right' blossoms.   For me, I don't need to make anyone wrong to feel that my ideas are okay.  And, if I am wrong, there's responsibility again..  I do my best to admit the error.  Having an opinion is not an error. It's just an idea.  If someone disagrees, that's fine. I compare that radio psychologist to Rush Limbaugh.  Rush is a very opinionated guy who uses half truths and wonky analogies, just like the son of the republican candidate for President just did, comparing refugees to Skittles, to make his statements seem true.  There's no arguing with someone whose 'truth' is clearly not within the realm of the 'truth' that I believe. (Refugees are not candy!)  If we buy the premise of a huckster, then, we believe them for their being credible to us.   It happens all the time.  Bottom line is that by examining the source of any 'truth' we get to make up our own minds as to how valid it might be.   

I was in error for pointing out that the source of the simple quip was from a bigot whose opinions I just don't like.  Should we just let others do what they want and believe what they want and stay out of the splash zone?  Probably. 

For me?  I don't trust those whom I think are bigots or hucksters who will say anything that they think their audience wants to hear.  Critical Thinking goes beyond the bumper sticker and allows us to have our own understanding.  I'll still stick with "Love One Another." And.. "Expect A Miracle!"

September 21, 2016
michae sheehan

1 comment: