Visitors

Tuesday, August 9, 2016

THE SOUND OF ART!

August 9, 2016

Barbara Hashimoto makes art that I have admired for years.  Really.  I became a fan after seeing her work when she had a studio at The Brewery here in Los Angeles.  Her imagination is inspired.  

Barbara shared this video today on Facebook. I love the concepts that are going on here.  Every time we find new ways to make marks, I think that's a breakthrough.  As a kid, I remember seeing an artist working with brushes that had really long, long bristles.  I actually wondered if that was 'legal!"

I will forever thank Mary Francis Phillips' mother, Mrs. Phillips, who made art miserable for me and did everything she could to discourage me when I was in the Eighth Grade.  There's a story here, but that's not for now.  That I try new ideas with my artwork now might be because Mrs. Phillips was such a mean teacher?  If you think that Mrs. Phillips was not nice, you should have met the Meeker Librarian: Miss Shrek! (or was it Shirk?). Why were those women so unhappy that they had to lay it on their students? Ancient history.  Life goes on.

There's a woman hyping new backpacks for kids on Channel Five right now. The brand is "Trans." No comment, but I am smiling.

The Open Call at the LAMAG opens on Sunday! 

There's a Belgian Petanque gathering on Saturday. 

 And, I'm seeking a company that can custom laser cut steel plate.  Please email directortv41at yahoo if you know someone who does this kind of work.

The Channel Five News keeps me company many mornings when I write this. Sam Rubin is the Entertainment Reporter and does a good job. Today, he has his son with him.  The kid looks about thirteen.  He has an iPad looking device and is sitting next to his dad as the show wraps.  It calls to him even while being on TV.  He cannot resist relating to it.  I fear for us all as we are seduced by these irresistible devices.  The Star Trek: TNG episode "The Game" where the crew slips into their minds being controlled by the game itself comes to mind.   Is resistance futile?  A friend regularly coaxes me to the Dark Side and I resist.. I do resist.  Will every activity in our lives be controlled by an 'app?'   As the New Generation of computer geniuses come to the fore with ways to keep everyone in touch with each other all the time, we may become some weird version of a hive mind? Will computer chips be implanted in New Borns  so parents will always be in touch with them?  

The "Borg" came to light on ST:TNG, also.  I was not a fan, but do remember that, like The Game, the crew was absorbed.  Jeri Ryan / Seven of Nine was the beautiful benefit of The Borg! 
//
A TV commercial for Preparation H shows a woman on a bicycle riding by a store: "Kiester Implement."   I should buy some of that stuff just to support the ad company!  Wow!! 

I guess my personal seductress is this iBook.  It's a great tool, but I deliberately unplug it to force me into the real world and get some real stuff done.  
I do not take it away from the desk unless I'm traveling. Period.  My cell phone is from the 20th Century. I can make a call on it and text! 
Yay, T Mobile. 

August 9, 2016
michaelsheehan


 

No comments:

Post a Comment