Visitors

Thursday, August 25, 2016

SIXTEEN CENTS

August 25, 2016

I was on the phone for a long time last night fielding a call from a guy I used to idolize.  He was a championship wrestler in high school and was and is still my senior by two years.  It used to be a good thing to banter with this guy, but I have come to my senses about what friendship is about and 'divorced' that friendship through his wife via email.  Evidently, he thought that an old time chat would fix things.  He pleads ignorance about the computer and email, but still checks the Drudge Report.  That pretty much says it all.

It's pretty awful to divorce from this history.  He's an arch conservative, I guess. Or whatever being to the right of that is.  He really believes that the tangerine tide is best for our country and, when you truly believe that something is true, like those Westboro Baptists do, their take on being Christian being hateful instead of loving... when you truly believe something, then, for you, it must be true.  It's spooky and makes me sick.  Not physically sick, but queasy. Understanding that when someone really doesn't want to be in touch much and all the effort to reach out.. to retch out?  is on you, then, change is a mandate.   

I get more queasy thinking that the USA is more and more a fascist state.  We may be like the old couple sitting in their hot tub slowly being cooked to death?  It's insidious and unless someone has the power to turn off the flames, the fire may be coming.  

I guess I'm done with two friendships now and counting.  The friend I've wondered about in these past ramblings doesn't respond and I'm the one to dismiss my old Colorado pal.  Life goes on and then, it doesn't.
 ///
Sixteen cents.  Evidently, when I was lying on my bed 'chatting' with the guy in Colorado, sixteen cents rolled out of my pocket.  A penny, a nickel and a dime were stuck to my rear end when I got up this morning. Sixteen cents.

August 25, 2016
michaelsheehan

1 comment:

  1. I too am having the friend conundrum. Those I chase and those who chase me.

    ReplyDelete