Visitors

Thursday, August 18, 2016

DOUBLE DUTY

August 18, 2016

On Thursdays the giant trucks arrive with strains of big, big engines taking away the unwanted stuff of our lives.  The City of Glendale does this right.

This entry is called "Double Duty" because there is now the beginning of a petition drive to lobby the City to change the old 'flying saucer' "Lumineres" (that's what they call the actual lights on top of street lamp poles).  The second part is a little sad.

 In the 1970s someone in their wrong mind changed charming 1920s 'acorn top' light poles for these darned flying saucers (Lawnair) things.   Why 'modern' street lights seemed like a good idea is lost to the distant past, but recently, the City  replaced one of the old flying saucer tops with a much nicer looking lantern top (photos below).  It was a mistake! But, I don't think they will take it back now.  

Evidently, the City needs to examine things in committee that refers referrals and petitions and such to another committee where officials who have nothing to do with the neighborhood in question may come up with a ruling and a referral and a decision ... it takes time. The guy who gave me a basic primer on the way things work was nice.  All of the reasons that we may always be lumbered with the ugly Lawnairs may hold fast, but as each new Town and Country luminiere only costs $486.00 and with about 26 homes that would benefit, for ten of the old fashioned lumineres the cost per home is less than $200.00.  Of course, the City would probably absorb the installation costs but, if neighbors were into helping with the actual instruments, it might be a nice gesture. 

I'll be lobbying neighbors for their support to have new Town and Country or equally appropriate lumineres installed.  

Of course, if they had ten of these lantern tops on hand and spent one day cruising the neighborhood and changing them, it could be done.  I'm hoping that the neighbors will agree that a little aesthetic boost will be good for the neighborhood.

1970's Flying Saucer: "Lawnair"

Town and Country Lantern $486.00  
 
























////

As I fade from a long standing friendship, I awaken each day asking my former friend to just discuss what the issue is.  If we are enjoined from expressing our genuine selves to people whom we love and care for and have come to trust, then it's not really a friendship.  I forgive my friend for being recalcitrant and mean.  Forgiveness is a good thing when the connection matters.  Of course, if we function as many people do, believing in only the black and white of an issue, then, that leaves little room for the gray area or for an apology (even if it may not be necessary).  I guess what I am most sorry for is feeling unappreciated for my contribution to any relationship that goes south.  

Yesterday, I decided to let a friend go.    To be the only one who makes an effort to be a pal is frustrating. Why I've persisted is probably because of something lacking in myself. A warped sense of loyalty.  The real irony is that this former friend will be indifferent to my dismissal.  "Hey..  it's your decision. Do what you want."  I have seen them release people and not really caring.  I cared about the friendship and still do, but, I'm no longer the one who keeps the ball in the air because one can bat a hundred balls into the air and if they are not returned in kind, that's just no fun. 

Happy Thursday!
August 18, 2016
michaelsheehan


1 comment:

  1. Well said! I had to do this with my family too. I have been much better off since then. More power to you.

    ReplyDelete