Visitors

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

DUST IN THE WIND

August 23, 2016

Birthdays are being celebrated by the kids in my high school class.  Not everyone will be there. Some are distant, some are no longer living.  Life goes on.  Happy Birthday to yas all.

I am reminded of the birthdays I try to remember and some get celebrated.  And, my own.  For years, a favorite student of mine, Lily Heyen, would send me a birthday greeting and I'd be grateful.  Then, I learned of her cancer and later, the greetings stopped.  She was a very smart and kind young woman and an accomplished writer who, with her husband, adopted a son from the Eastern Bloc.  I can't rememer their names.  She was generous and right this minute I miss her all over again.  Life goes on.

///

The 99 Seat issue for small theaters in Los Angeles continues.  This is a bit redundant and maybe meddling, but it effects me because I have been a part of this situation for many years.  Now, as a theatre critic, having even one intimate theater shuttered because of the reckless actions of the very 'union' that is supposed to support and aid actors, the feckless AEA, there is a danger of some of these little guys being driven out of business.  This, to me, is wrong.  All the years I volunteered to work with the amazing Company Theatre and even paid the rent sometimes, it was for the Company and the work and the colleagues whom I had such faith in!   AEA members! Bolt! Do not let the tail wag the dog!  My proposal that LA actors, stage managers and producers form their own local alliance seems like an idea, at least.   Some of these folks are all the same people. That's what we had at The Company, anyway.  Be fair. Don't let the ranch be foreclosed on!  What was Trish Soodik's play? "Don't Sell the Ranch?"

///

My own art has been damaged in situ!  Ouch.. but.. it'll be fine.. I hope.

August 23, 2016
michaelsheehan
 

No comments:

Post a Comment