Visitors

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

GROUND HOG DAY! TOO MUCH SUN!

February 2, 2016
I've not checked on the official ground hog in Pennsylvania, but ..  here in Glendale, even the shadows have shadows.  (Is that possible?) umbra/penumbra?

An old actor pal, Paddy Cronin, is saying on Facebook that the only qualified person for President of the United States is Hillary Clinton. I got to thinking about this and wondered about George Washington.  And, Grant and Eisenhower. Oh, yes.. Andy Jackson, too.  What political or foreign policy experience did they have beyond killing the enemy? These guys were warriors.  They all got their images on money (I wonder what that means?) and they led the country and the country mostly survived.  It just makes me dislike politics more.  However, my recent lesson about how politics is supposed to create dialogue and keep us from killing each other needs to be considered no matter whether I can stomach it or not.  Now, I sadly remember Dr. King and Bobby Kennedy and JFK and even George Wallace. And, Honest Abe (who, I read somewhere, didn't even want to attend the play, as he'd already seen it and didn't like it the first time!) Killed for politics. Sad.

The old Improv 'rule' of 'Yes! And...' comes to mind.  Currently, the way to get elected, it seems, is to demean the other folks, which is supposed to elevate the demeaner above the demeanee. That's just mean.  Sometimes the meanest demeaner, denigrating the opponent is the winner.  What I hope for is a time when the rancor just takes a back seat to reason.. 'my' reason, of course.  Not the so called 'reason' of the dunderheaded dunderheads with whom I'll never ever agree!! 

See?  It's hard not to put the opposition down.  

Another curmudgeonly pal, Jan Munroe, has taken a swipe at the play I'll review tonight: RED.  Of course, talking about Art often degenerates into blather of opinions and putting other folks down, too. I truly embrace the work of Mark Rothko. Seeing his huge paintings in person is a visceral experience.  I saw Alfred Molina do the play at the Taper and really liked it. 


It's thrilling to see artists who take a step outside the box, or poop in the box or otherwise challenge our status quo. Ego often drives these artists and that's okay with me, too. 
Mr. Know It All About ART, Mat Gleason, has put Ai WeiWei down for a current project. WeiWei's work is often egotistical and shocking, but that is exciting because it elicits strong responses.

I just like to see work that I wish I'd thought of.  Being slapped silly in Eighth Grade with 'rules' by MaryFrances Phillips' mother who was a tyrant and should never have been an 'art' teacher... or any kind of a teacher at all!... it's taken me a couple of lifetimes to come around to making art that enjoys tweeking the rules. But, that's fodder for another campaign. 

Six more weeks of winter?  Okay..  on with it! 

And..  Did anyone notice that ABC's Agent Carter looks a lot like Michael Jackson? 
Hmmm.
February 2, 2016
michaelsheehan


No comments:

Post a Comment