Visitors

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Black Mountain!

February 23, 2016
Happy Birthday, Mystery Woman? 

The gorilla over the Shoe Factory seems to be changing.  Life goes on.

Got a call from a favorite student yesterday after I shared a notice about an exhibit at The Hammer Museum in Westwood (LA) that is called Leap before you Lookhttp://hammer.ucla.edu/exhibitions/2016/leap-before-you-look-black-mountain-college-1933-1957/# He suggested that we head over to see it.  

This is a real treat because it recalls some very special times that I had as a teacher many years ago.  Leon.  I brag on this guy all the time because he had a very fertile imagination and was always totally reliable.  In his life he's overcome adversity that most of us cannot imagine.  Has some kids.. and grandkids (upon whom he dotes!!).  Lives in Portland now.  It'll be a treat to see him.  

My four play reviews are now up.  I seem to be more critical these days.  One should take into consideration all of the elements that a company of players goes through to come up with a performance.  It's a massive cooperative that often functions on a shoestring.  Every production has a unique personality.  The one thing in common, amongst the many, is the love of the craft: the art of the theatre.  The high school kids I taught as theatre students all those many years ago were dedicated.  (I may have learned more from them than they ever did from me.)  They may have been more dedicated than even I was.  Gosh.  The Theatre.. Stella Adler's book title comes to mind: A Respect for Acting.   A great performance is, to me, one that is selfless and contained in such a way that the performance sweeps the audience up and embraces us.  Carries us away.

I see my role as a theatre 'critic'..  I mostly review and only now and then attempt to actually critique... is to do a report on one specific performance that I see. It may be an "on" day or a middle day or an off day for the cast and crew.  Live theatre, a couple of hours when we are all engaged in art.  No distractions.  Just the audience and the performance.   I was upset with an 'announcement' that shook me out of the beginning of Tempest Redux at the Odyssey on Sunday. The actors and the producers had created an intimate atmosphere with lighting and preshow music setting the scene for the play to emerge.  THEN! a recorded voice 'reminded' the audience about all that stuff that we mostly remember to do: turn off phones.. etc.  It toally burst the mood that had been established as the audience entered and took their seats.   Taking issue with an issue like this may be nit picking, but it so rankled me, that it changed the way that the play evolved... for me.  http://onstagelosangeles.blogspot.com/2016/02/tempest-redux-by-william-shakespeare.html 

Thanks to Dr. Ray DeBoer, my college semantics professor, I try my best to always couch my opinions in "to me."   Ray's only 'absolute' was that his religious faith was universal.  He was a Presbyterian!  I wonder why I remember that? Before he died, I called him and thanked him for his support as my advisor and teacher.  I was flattered that he remembered me.   I'll never forget him. On the other hand, I called a junior high teacher who had been influential and he had no idea who I was!  Oy.. Now I can only remember his first name: Chuck! (Charles) Heath Junior High? Good old Chuck! Thompson? Anyone?? 

February 23, 2016
michaelsheehan


 

No comments:

Post a Comment