Visitors

Thursday, June 9, 2016

WORKING WORKING

June 9, 2016
The overcast is over casting the hill.  a friend recently reacted to this view which clears up as the day goes by with disdain saying that it was gloomy or creepy or some other negative thing that she reacted to and made that comment that I deleted from the posting and I'm not sorry because there is nothing creepy about this hill except one neighbor who is creepy and thankfully the eugenias have grow up and almost mask her house completely which is a boon because though I am generally I think a pretty positive person, I am positive that there is some inherent evil in her and having the foliage to block the vibe from up the hill is in a way healing and for that I am very thankful because in the past the vibe was palpable and that was pretty creepy. 

The "working" reference here is to an art idea that will go up later in the summer.  My deck is full of stuff and the ideas for this deal change daily.  Last night I bought two Moo Cow Boxes and have been experimenting with other sound making devices that will be part of this 'toy.'  

I read with much interest, Anthony Lane's review of a new biography of Diane Arbus, “Diane Arbus: Portrait of a Photographer,” by Arthur Lubow (Ecco).  Lane is one of the most articulate writers I have ever read. He finds ways to express deep insights in his movie reviews and this exploration of the book about Arbus is revealing and articulate.   My photographer friend, Octavia Hunter, will, I hope, read the review and maybe the book (he said it's about 700 pages) for insights into this extraordinary woman who decided to end it all by her own hand at the age of 48.  Lane's review itself is probing and references several of the photos that fans of Arbus will immediately recall, including the one of the little blonde kid in Central Park with a toy grenade in one hand and his other pulled sharply into a claw.  I like that these images are iconic to me.  The Jewish giant with his parents (who said that Arbus 'came on' to him!) and other important images from the photographer's collection.  

These daily posts of mine are mostly free form and not planned.  I awakened way too early this AM and have been doing the writing I normally would be doing later in the day so that I can head out to have lunch with a good friend: To chat and gain the wonderfulness of his generosity.  hah.. he might insist on buying! 

June 9, 2016
michaelsheehan


No comments:

Post a Comment