Visitors

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

STRAWBERRY MOON?

June 21, 2016

The moon last night.. the "strawberry moon" was welcome.  I see the moon and the moon sees me. Even with the intrusion of my streetlight, I had the wonderful thought that the moon connects us all, when we make time to think about it.  I like that connection. 

I'll be really happy when I come to a final decision about this art project.  Thank goodness the screen door is only warm to the touch and the house is still cool.  I set the thermostat for sixty eight degrees, but it really doesn't do much good unless you actually have air conditioning.  

Just now, I reminded myself of John Irving's book A Widow for One Year.. actually, the movie made from it called The Door In The Floor.  I changed a punctuation mark in my review of the terrific show currently playing at The Falcon Theatre here in Toluca Lake  / Burbank.  In The Door in the Floor, Eddie O'Hare, the summer intern who has an affair with the author's wife (Gorgeous Kim Basinger as Marion Cole) is asked what his work is like.  Eddie reports changing a semi-colon to a comma or something like that.  Most of us shy away from colons and semi-colons.  I was taken to task years ago for using one in a review I wrote.  As a former English teacher, I have a bit of a handle on that stuff, but if a punctuation mark makes someone uncomfortable, I can do a re-write, just to keep peace in the family! "Eats shoots and leaves" //  Eats, shoots and leaves. Pesky punctuation!

I know that I'm now in trouble because I've spent five minutes discussing punctuation.. all the while the San Gabriels are on fire and we all may be going to Helena Handbasket!

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 is Election Day in the United States.  That date is one day before the 78th anniversary of Kristallnacht, where in 1938,   German Nazis burned synagogues, destroyed Jewish homes, schools and businesses and killed as many as one hundred Jews. History reminds us what hatred can do.  Will history repeat itself? Are we on the pathway to derision, division and death to those whom we demonize?  Brrr. 

Often, I wonder where these disparate thoughts bubble up from?  I don't think the USA is ready for dictatorship and will be very curious to see what will happen if a dictator is elected.  Brrrr again! 

 June 21, 2016
michaelsheehan



No comments:

Post a Comment