Visitors

Sunday, June 26, 2016

FLEETING JUNE

June 26, 2016

My "uncle" Bill Henderson was a graphic artist of the old school.  He was married to Aunt Flo for a while and was the third of my Uncle Bill's. I think of him this morning because of today's image of the "Hill."  I remember him painting a Coca Cola sign that featured that vintage jolly Santa chugging a Coke that was left for him in a colorful living room he had just dropped into.  The way Uncle Bill created the image was with a grid that helped guide him to get proportions right.  He was a master graphic artist.  He also painted a special sign for my cousin, Spank.  Both Spank and I attended Greeley High School. Our mascot was the wildcat!  The sign read: Wildcat Den!  I wonder what happened to that sign?  I inherited it from Spank, 

The "powers that be" in Greeley decided that it was important to change the name of our alma mater when other schools were built in Greeley.  I do not recognize the new name and did not graduate from there. 

Living in the 20th Century is more and more problematic as the 21st barrels onward.  Technology is changing daily.  I just heard that a good friend in Colorado tried to send me a photo on my phone.  My cell phone!   I refuse to become one of these people who are in constant touch (literally.. they are just touching and sweeping and fascinated with the little icons and such) on their phones. Some even watch movies or video on these little things?  Why, I declare!!

I don't consider myself a Luddite.  I do like the idea of being in touch for emergencies, thus, this little cake of soap that I make calls on.  I wonder if I'm like the folks who couldn't understand the telephone at all and even one installed in the country store seemed like a nuisance? To those hunched constantly over their phones.. probably, yes.. 

Being on an 'electronic leash' is okay, I guess, if one really needs to be in constant touch.   Will the New Age subjugate us.. if it hasn't done that already.  Is Soylent Green next? 

Nope.. what's next is this big old project.  Can  you decipher this? Actually, the photo is upside down.. hmm.
 

June 26, 2016
michaelsheehan

1 comment: