Visitors

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

NATAL DAY!

May 18, 2016

Gravity and time.. they do their work.  Carl Sandburg's poem, "Grass" comes to mind.  Sooner or later we all wind up ... in one way or another.. covered up.. by the grass.  Birthdays are a time for reflection.  On Facebook, all kinds of nice comments come in and it's surprising and flattering and a little overwhelming.  I wonder how many of my FB 'friends' I've actually met?  My wake up call this AM from a true blue friend, Duncan Hopwood, was welcome.  His bday is coming up soon. And, my cousin, Jim Shaw's day is soon, too. (Actually, I missed it by two days! May 16th! Dang it!!) These types of calls are special. I am grateful.

I have to hit the Home Depot to get some art supplies. This project for the upcoming Open Call Show at LAMAG continues to change and morph redundantly.  The sullen clerk at the Dollar King won't get a joke or if she does, won't laugh.  I think it's against cultural upbringing or something.  Of course, if I was working at the Dollar King, I might be a little sullen myself.   If this project is accepted, it'll be good fun.  The theme of the Open Call is "Play" so.. that's what this 'sculpture' will entail.  Interactive play.

Those folks whose goal is fame are interesting to me.  I've wanted to be successful, but really not interested much in 'fame' per se.  I got a nice email from an old pal whom I met on The Flintstones, Paul Reubens, with a photo of a half ravished Birthday Cake!  He has dealt with fame in interesting ways.  We are not close now, but I remember running into him at the old Hughes Market on Highland years ago when he was first producing the stage version of The Pee Wee Herman Show.  I asked him how he did that and his response was wonderful.  "I don't know, we are just doing it!" From the Roxy to Broadway!  Good for you, Paul.

A second Colorado call from my shirt tail cousin.. Jim, whom I mentioned above.  The man has a wonderful laugh and we chat.  He was like a big brother to me growing up in Greeley and I was probably more like a Little Bother.  sic.. 

I'm in tears with the receipt of a text from Ken Rugg.  Traditionally, for over twenty years, he and Linda Paszkiewicz and I would celebrate his birthday in  January, mine in May and hers in August.  Now that he's up in Marin County, it's impossible to get the three of us together. His memory is fading, but he took time to Text me today and that is very special.   I really miss him, especially today.  

Here's to art and sunshine.  Do a good deed daily. Yes.. Be Prepared!  Can you hear Tom Lehrer's song?  The Boy Scouts Marching Song!

May 18, 2016
michaelsheehan


No comments:

Post a Comment