Visitors

Friday, May 20, 2016

ANOTHER DAY OLDER

May 20, 2016

One of the font options for Blogger is Trebuchet. I learned the word in Manitou Springs, I think.  The Fords had a catapult (a trebuchet) that they flung things with.  I can't remember what they flung, but I do remember the big concrete bison that Donna Ford made that was part of their annual BBQ where money was raised to promoted and produce the Mountain Music Festival that they held for years.  The Dulcimer Shop is now closed and waiting for another tenant, I think.  Manitou is where my mom and I spent a little while when I was about three.  I still remember walking from the house we stayed in to the Library.  I'd check out the same book every day, read it and return it. 

Nostalgia sustains me now and then.  Today, the old VW bus was ailing with age.  The clutch mechanism, according to the wonderful Brazilian Italian VW guy, Cosmo, was destroyed.  I barely got it to him by running stop signs and lucking into green lights.  He wanted to work on it on Tuesday, but the poor old car was not going anywhere, blocking his driveway. So!  He pulled out the electric welding machine and created a new flange to make the clutch work properly again. "Good for thirty years," he said.  I count myself so lucky to have a guy like this help me with this car.  He's been a friend for many years and I do feel blessed.

David Somerville's memorial will be at The Ice House in Pasadena on Sunday.  I met David long ago at Disneyland when the Park held Hootenannies in Tomorrowland. His initial fame came as lead singer of The Diamonds (The Stroll and Little Darlin'). After leaving The Diamonds,  "Diamond Dave" was doing a single as a folkie  with the moniker:  David Troy (his middle name).  Just a lovely guy.  He later partnered with Bruce Belland (founder of The Four Preps.. still going strong, he'll be a spry eighty in October!).  Belland and Somerville played the Ice House when it was a Folk Haven in the seventies.  It'll be good to see Bruce and to celebrate David's life. 

The bus is on the road again

  
may20, 2016
michaelsheehan and friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment