Visitors

Tuesday, May 3, 2016

I LIKE IKE!

May 3, 2016

  I love my view. I love the sky. I love the trees. I love this neighborhood and wonder sometimes how I got so lucky to be here.   Just wondering.

Free TV is a trip.  I keep the sound off to practice lip reading and find that mostly any program is viewable with just the video.  The Decades Channel (2.2) featuring commercials from the Presidential campaign in 1956 are so naive! Eisenhower's slogan, I Like Ike is the one I remember. I probably had a button.  Sixty years ago, the vanilla approach to campaigning was in vogue. Real person testimonials from 'just folks' seem unrehearsed and the actual commercials featured women whose primary objective was to keep the family, cook meals, tutor kids and please their husbands. Times they are a changin'...

 Today, Dick Cavett  had a guest whom I had not heard of: Clement Freud.   Cavett, in a silly Carnaby Street cap, introduced his gues by saying he was a 'strange' man and then, interviewed.. sort of.. Mr. Freud.  All Cavett had to do was ask how he was doing and Freud waxed on for five minutes about his flight from England to appear on Cavett's show.  Low key, dry, British humor.  In looking Freud up on line, there's a reference to the funniest joke ever told.  Clement was Sigmund's grandson and Lucian Freud's brother.  I tried to listen to the joke, but the sound is marginal and the British accent is hard for me to understand.  I did love the comment he made when having a discussion with the airline stewardess, though.  He said that she asked if Freud was his real name. "No," he said, "It's just a name I make up to impress airline stewardesses."

James MacArthur and his mom, Helen Hayes  are guests on The Love Boat now.  James was the celebrity contestant, along with Amada Blake, when I appeared on PASSWORD!  My mom was often mistaken for Ms Hayes, which pleased her no end.  The TV 'acting' style for The Love Boat is broad and predictable.  Comfort food from the seventies and eighties.  Lauren Tewes is looking a bit like Mrs. Clinton thirty some years later. 

Tuesday in Glendale.  

May 3, 2016
michaelsheehan

No comments:

Post a Comment