Visitors

Saturday, May 21, 2016

BIG NETS?

May 21, 2016
No annoying calls today.  Yet.  

Hearing the voices of old friends and seeing personal emails is a very good feeling.  My friend, Duncan, will celebrate his birthday in a couple of days. He calls me on the day of my birthday.  I try to hit his within a week.  He's buying underware on Amazon! And, he got a "Pamplona Red" Hyundai Genesis..  a big old road car!  Luxury!  

Second familiar voice was Bruce Belland, whom I'll see tomorrow.  He wanted to make sure I was RSVP'd for the event to celebrate David Somerville's life.  Bitter sweet..  a friend is gone and his friends all gather to remember. 

The heading for today is a question for the police.  I've just seen crane conservationists use a special 'net gun' to capture Sandhill Cranes by firing a large net that basically ties them up long enough to get them in custody to remove oil that they've been polluted by.   When cops are confronted by suspects who may be armed only with weapons that are not guns, why couldn't they just hit them with a net and subdue them that way?  

On the TV news, I saw a terrible video from somewhere in Georgia where a poor guy was hallucinating  / freaking out and his family called the cops to help get him to a facility where he could be helped.  The police came and in trying to subdue him used a taser multiple times.  The young man died and a cop can be seen on iPhone video saying, "I am fired.." Use of force killed an innocent man.

The use of extreme force is what the police seem to gravitate toward.  It's wrong.  Plain and simple.  Unless they have an active shooter, finding ways to fix things should be the goal.  I mentioned a documentary a few days ago, "Peace Officer" that condemns the virtual murder of two men in Utah.  Chilling.  If you believe we can do better with policing, please find it and watch it.

Of course, my little comments, read by a handful of folks who probably know me and are already aligned with the idea of peaceful solutions to issues, won't carry far.  I wish it did.

Hearing from two of the most important people in my life today lifts me up and I am smiling.  

Lunch!

may 21, 2016
michaelsheehan

No comments:

Post a Comment