Visitors

Sunday, May 22, 2016

DEEP THOUGHTS

May 22, 2016

At a nice lunch at the chic Good Girl Diner with Nan and Beau, I was reminded of a 1995 film by  Wayne Wang where Harvey Keitel took photos of the same store in Brooklyn, every day.  It may have been the unconscious inspiration for my daily photos from my porch.  The thing about my porch images is that I like the subtle changes.  In the film Keitel shoots at the same time each day.  Originally, I'd wanted to do that, but my schedule really doesn't allow it. Thus.. we get what we get within a day. The look of the hill across the way is very different in the afternoon as the sun retreats into the west.  In most of my images we see the sun off to the right: the east. 

Today is the memorial for David Somerville at The Ice House in Pasadena.  Depending on how close we are to someone who dies, the depth of our feelings may vary.  David Somerville made you feel like you were the only person in the room when you chatted.  He told stories about Paul Anka sleeping in a bathtub that Dave and the Diamonds had in early days.  He walked you to the car and waved: "Cheers.." or was it "Cheerio!.." With these memories, I am sadder now and at the same time resolved that he is not in pain.  The last time I saw him over a year ago, he was radiant. I didn't know that he was ill.  He was present and alive and smiling and handsome.  He wore his celebrity with honor.  That's saying something.

It'll be a celebration.  Bruce Belland will bat clean up and that will be a treat.  Yes.  

May 22, 2016
michaelsheehan

No comments:

Post a Comment