Visitors

Sunday, December 4, 2016

TIME STEP

December 4, 2016

The story lines of 77 Sunset Strip, the late fifties TV show. Big black telephones with dials and straight black cords!  Bad acting / Jazz theme. Great characters.   Tobacco in every single scene.
Uh oh..  small town girl dancer winds up hiding out with Roger Smith and the theme turns to romantic strings! "I chase girls all the time," he says.

Sam Shepard's "Tiny Man" in this week's New Yorker magazine is brilliant.  His style is unmistakable.  Odd characters. Rich images. 

A couple of days ago a friend said that a writer is just a guy with pad and a pencil unless there's someone reading what he's written.  I'm not so sure. This journal with disparate thoughts may be inconsequential to the world at large.  Maybe the only goal is for the writing to take care of itself. 

The idea came to me that Shepard's story could make a David Lynch film with a touch of Raymond Carver.   I find that my own writing is sometimes influenced by whomever I happen to read. That Shepard inspires me is probably because of some similar life experiences.  

December 4, 2016
michaelsheehan
Chayote 12/4/16
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment