Visitors

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

EAST IS NOT 'DOWN'.. BUT...

April 12, 2016

I have a dear friend.  And, today I'm visiting dear friends.  I often use the term "going down" to indicate I'm going somewhere.  I seldom say out or over.  If it's to Washington, it's "going up" for a trip or a visit.  My colleagues years ago would ask when I was going 'back east' from California to Colorado which always rankled a bit.  California is 'the coast.'  Colorado is the West! 

Semantics.  

So.. when I reported that I was going down to Claremont, my dear friend corrected me! You can't go 'down east.'  Then, I got to thinking about the 1920 film with Richard Barthelmess and Lillian Gish, "Way Down East."  The beauty of this silent film is the direction of D.W. Griffith and these great actors whose broad strokes convey such deep emotion.  But.. I digress.  Where the term 'down east' came from, I have not researched,  but I shall now claim it and continue to say 'down' for out or over or such.  "Over" feels down to me.  My granddad worked in Cripple Creek, Colorado and the tune goes, "Goin' up to Cripple Creek..."   but, of course, that 'up' was directly UP into the Rocky Mountains, literally.  

Pretty boring stuff for a Tuesday when I'm on my way down to Claremont!

April 12, 2016
michaelsheehan

No comments:

Post a Comment