Visitors

Monday, April 18, 2016

CAROLYN'S BIRTHDAY

April 18, 2016

In a couple of days it'll be the birthday of an old friend.   Now and then I like to say that I was once in love with a twelve year old just to watch the face of whomever I am confessing to. And, I then reveal that I was eleven at the time.  Her name was Carolyn and she was cute and blonde.  I walked her home from school and she was not in love with me.  She moved away to Pocatello and after a little time we lost touch. But now for many years I've sent her a birthday card and because she is older than I am, tease her a little.   Happy Birthday, Carolyn Sue.

The two shows I reviewed on Saturday, Paul Linke's "Time" and Maury Sterling in "A Gambler's Guide to Dying" directed by Paul, both at the Ruskin Theatre at the Santa Monica Airport are worth the drive.  Entirely different pieces.  Very personal and well presented.  It's good to see talented folks with well written material. 


I like to write reviews of theatre work that is, in my opinion, worthy of an audience.  I was deleted as a critic by the former Glendale theatre company, A Noise Within, probably because I was insulted to be made to sit through a version of the Scottish Play that basically sucked except for the set and the costumes and I said so.  That still rankles as it seems to me that a company that has figured out how to build a more than ten million dollar theatre should be doing work that is worthy of the space, not vanity pieces that come off a lot like university Masters Thesis Projects. 

However, in the Ruskin space, funky and definitely with nowhere near millions of dollars invested, I've often seen exciting and creative work.  Even A Noise Within was doing more interesting work in their Old Masonic Lodge space in Glendale than I've seen in their Pasadena Palace.  I wonder why I am harping on this? Go to ANW and see if you agree.. but drive down to The Ruskin and see what seat of the pants professional work is all about and compare!  

Happy Birthday, Carolyn!  Diamonds are for you! 

April 18, 2016
michaelsheehan 

No comments:

Post a Comment