Visitors

Saturday, December 19, 2015

FB WITHDRAWL PAGE TWO

December 19, 2015

Withdrawal from FB is a challenge.  To rely on this wonky resource for information and fun is truly addictive.  The wide range of ‘friends’ we collect is fascinating.  Some few family members, one of whom is, evidently, heavily into beyond the right wing pale in politics and religion. Another is a wonderful woman whom I have known since she was ten who now administers a good friend’s life. She has become uncommunicative because of personal stuff, all of which I am not privy to.  The vast network of actors: famous and not so famous is uplifting.  Ditto for the art world that I skirt the perimeter of.  Some are so self promotional that it’s a bit embarrassing, but social media is a sort of rumor mill and if you tout yourself enough, your reputation may bloom and blossom. 

Today, I paged down the FB page taking out references to people and other stuff that I just do not want to filter into my home.  I am superstitious to the point that just the image of a detestable person on this little screen makes me feel like I’m being invaded.   A teacher a long time ago made me aware of what television actually does. It introduces whatever is on the screen directly into the home of the viewer.  Smart producers of any media: commercials, news, theatricals : comedy or drama.. reality shows..  they know that the audience wants to see product that they like to see.  Witness shows like Maury Povich and Jerry Springer’s angry shouting stuff.  Their audience is at home slouched on the couch in the middle of the day.  Soap Operas pander to the mostly women who live vicariously through the trials and tribulations of beautiful actors and actresses whose acting skills are marginal and their problems never cease. 

Finally, and what drove me to this entry today.. again.. all is vanity..   When someone on FB announces anything, like poor Jan Munroe and his current plumbing issue..  Immediately, at least one person will recount the issue that THEY had and what THEY experienced.  It is in us.  We all draw attention back to ourselves!  Why I myself..  uh oh.. never mind.

Christmas approaches. The Winter Solstice .. formerly a very favorite event.. is nigh.  The days will grow longer again.. thank goodness… the spring is on its way.. 

My need to get SAG work is an issue, but having been ‘out’ for so long, unless a Christmas miracle pops up, financial stuff will take a hit and life will go on.  Hopefully..  healthily.

Here’s to the Holidays.  Have some fun!
Michael Sheehan

No comments:

Post a Comment