Visitors

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

SPRINGTIME IN THE ROCKIES

March 23, 2016

Facebook is a window on the world.  We mourn the tragedy in Brussels,  Michael Pritchard's birthday is today (an old Company Theatre pal), we get a feeling for life around the world. Evidently, a spring snow has come to Colorado, just about the time that folks were ready for shorts and tank tops!  Brrr.. and beautiful.

 I keep the TV on, mostly with the sound off just for some company sometimes.  The Price is Right on CBS is an opportunity to practice lip reading as my hearing changes.  I like the show because it sometimes changes peoples' lives for the better.  Of course, a college kid winning a brand new kitchen instead of a brand new car is not necessarily a change for the better, but the contestants are filled with hope and energy and are excitedly having lots of fun.  Even if they don't win the kitchen or the car, they have a shot at the Big Wheel for the Showcase Showdown where luck might smile on them.  

Today, a young woman won her way on stage and got to play my favorite game of all the TPIR games: Plinko.  It's a version of the popular asian game Pachinko.  Why seeing someone have a shot at winning at this game is so much fun for me is a mystery.  The woman had a T shirt that had written on it: "Need Gas Money to Get Home."  She had four opportunities to drop disks into the $10,000 slot and did it twice.  $20,000.00!!  Then, in the showcase showdown, I had a feeling that it was her day. She spun the winning spin for an additional $1,000.00 and will have a shot at other big, big prizes at the end of the show.  She has just gone into the Showcase Showdown and won an additional $22K in prizes including a new car.  Over $47,000 in cash and prizes.  It was her day!

I mention this, as it's what's happening before me as I write these daily missives.  Sometimes, I am not really sure, but have a notion, that sometimes it may just be "your day!"  Based on nothing practical.. just a vibe that a string of luck may continue.  

This reminds me of the wonderful movie, The Cooler, with William H. Macy.  The premise is that his very presence at a gambling table where someone is winning would turn their winning streak around.  This, then, reminds of something I read about the costuming for Macy in the feature.  We see him early in the film looking schulmpy and sad.. a loser.  As his confidence elevates because of meeting a sympathetic and attractive woman, Maria Bello, the costume designer, continued to put him into more tailored suits. As he perks up, his effectiveness as a 'cooler' wains and his job is in jeopardy.  Might be an idea to see that movie again!  As I sometimes say, "Apropos nada".. Just what comes into my mind.

Luck.  Extra sensory perception?  Is there a Multiverse?  Are we just dust in the wind?

///

A friend mentioned that she had encountered a pet bird in her deliveries of lunch to a retired client as part of her work on behalf of senior citizens.  She reminded me of the beautiful 'daughter' I shared with Lee Arnone many years ago: Toby Sue.  Toby was a Hahn's Macaw who became like a person in my life.   As far as I know, she may be still laying little macaw eggs for Candy Mills, the lady from whom Lee got Toby originally.  Lee returned Toby when it became difficult to keep her.  I miss that bird like a lost child sometimes and am ever grateful to Lee for sharing her love of birds with me.  I owe much of the good stuff in my life today to knowing Lee.  So much. She took this photo of Toby and me a long time ago.  I do so still love this beautiful little ball of feathers.

 Thank you, Lee. 

Toby Sue and Michael  1985?
 March 23, 2016
michaelsheehan

No comments:

Post a Comment