Visitors

Saturday, March 5, 2016

RAIN COMING??

MARCH 5, 2016

It's a little gray today and maybe we'll get some moisture.  A dear friend in Colorado, Alta Chapin Dunst, a teacher and artist, asked me in email about how the drought has effected me personally.  I don't think about it much, Alta.  There's a big vacant lot on the other side of the hill where I did an environmental installation a while back. (I wrote the word "ART" in fertilizer in letters about twenty feet high.  I did it in cursive and a friend thought it spelled "Ant!")  That lot has  been pretty brown until the spate of rain we had a few weeks ago.  The weeds and other grasses sprout like anything and then the owner has it all mowed to the ground.  It's green right now.

As I have been pretty much a conservator of water all along, all I've done personally, has been to save water from the kitchen sink and the bathroom shower in buckets to dump on plants.  I never really water the yard and leave it to its own devices.  (just dislodged a little berry seed from a back molar. boy that felt good!)..  I take showers less frequently.  I figure that my water footprint is minimal compared to families who take many baths and showers and have a yard to keep green.  My across the street neighbor has never had much of a lawn, to his credit and the drought friendly plantings in other close by neighbors are doing well.   

I just ordered some Seedies!  They are little seed bombs that you can toss out to grow flowers with the goal of giving bees something to do.  Friends up in South Pasadena have kept bees for a while now and their new hives are ready for new residents.  I got some nice filtered bee's wax from them and am using it in some artwork.


This letter to the editor from a favorite author, Pat Conroy, speaks volumes regarding the wonderfulness of reading and meeting good teachers along the way.   


When I was a teacher, teaching English was forced upon me.  Most of my kids wound up as decent spellers, but I'll never forgive the 'system' for foisting "Silas Marner" on us. If I'd been hip and happening as an English teacher, we'd have found better books to read.  One student turned me on to Richard Brautigan and for that I am very grateful. 

I sat through three hours of Fengar Gail's play, Opaline, at the Garage Theatre in Long Beach last night.  I'll link to my review when I get it written. I love this playwright and admire The Garage. They've been at it for fifteen years!     

Don't forget the eggs!
March 5, 2016
michaelsheehan

No comments:

Post a Comment