Visitors

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Day Four / October 27, 2012

Many years ago, with the draft right on my tail, I wound up on this street in Garden Grove, California.   Rancho Alamitos High School was a relatively new school with need of a drama teacher. That would be me.

Driving by Rancho on Wednesday was sad and sweet.  The campus has changed.  Huge eucalyptus trees that stood to the north of the main campus:  gone.  Fruit trees on the Senior Lawn: gone.  The old sign at the entry to the office with Poco Vaquero: gone.  The lawns are dry.  I could see a familiar sign on the gym.  

I met important people during the five years I spent in E5 and mostly in H2 trying to make theatre with a fifty dollar budget and a great group of kids, some of whom remain my good friends today. The serendipity of life: doors opening and closing by design or by just the chance of where we are at any given time all bring us to this moment.  

At this moment I am grateful for all the moments and odd connections that have led to it. 

Day Four

 

1 comment:

  1. Really enjoying following your wandering thoughts, Michael.

    ReplyDelete