Visitors

Monday, July 31, 2017

Sam Shepard dies

Dear Universe.. 
I asked nicely for a break.. Evidently, you have your own agenda.  Sam Shepard was an icon. Period.  I understood that he spent time with The Company Theatre, but that would have been before my time.  The Magic Theatre up in San Francisco produced his Fool for Love with Kathy Baker and Ed Harris, contemporaries.. of an age.. A time of innocence and a time of promises.. to coin a phrase. 

We play six degrees from time to time and Sam was in a movie that I am one step away from.  One degree.  I've seen his plays well done and mangled. Hopefully, now that he's gone, there may be some productions or readings to remind us that grit and simplicity in language and in character hold up.  I have some of his poems here.. they are under something.  I'll find them.  

When contemporaries die.. Michael Johnson.. Sam..  and older folks.. June and Wally..  It's just nature's way of reminding us to tell friends we love them, I guess.  

Whom did you tell today? 

If you are reading this, I love you. 

I hope we never "rest in peace" or otherwise just give in to death.  If there's more to do, I hope we do it and have some fun. 

The last day of July, 2017
michaelsheehan

No comments:

Post a Comment