Visitors

Friday, January 15, 2021

What will President Biden do?

January 15, 2021

I am a fan of the insights of Bill Svelmoe.  His credentials are worthy.  His style is breezy.. and I like what he has to say.

I'm concerned for my old Red classmates. This is directed to them.  Sadly, I think that Marvin and Kay have deleted me from the email list.  They accused me of "hurting" some of the old folks.  What was upsetting, you may ask? Really?  I simply asked them for whom they would vote, back in November. The epithets and hue and cry were surprising to me.  I didn't campaign for anyone. I DID say I'd vote Blue, which may have been so "hurtful"  that I was just declairing for myself?  And, boy did they tell me off!  'None of yer bees wax!!' That spoke volumes.   The friends who were upset with my just asking were probably (edit) republicans. My old friends who were liberally oriented wrote to me in private and declared themselves.. Denny, David, and some others who had been red but have seen the light. I'm grateful for  their friendship.

The January 6th embarrassing and disturbing insurrection that was promulgated by this president is a stain on our country to the world. That this president  is planning a military send off for himself is ironic, as he never served and, as commander in chief, probably had no clue as to what that meant.   That the nuclear football is secure, I understand, is a bit of a relief. Does anyone else see his resemblance to Mussolini? 

We wonder if 45 will pardon the thugs who crashed the Capitol Building, while ignoring the service of the Capitol Cops who put their lives on the line to face the well coordinated mob? What a class act, to call his loyal lap dog, Pence, a pussy. Of course, 45 knows pussy, as he declared and we ignored. 

Who are the real patriots? Not the vandals, that's for sure.

For you old republicans? Please look in the mirror to see the faces of the people who enabled 45 to do his best to flush the USA down the crapper.  You were fooled.  I forgive you. Maybe you've seen the light? Let me know?

I wish that President Biden would not hold a public Inauguration Ceremony right now.. but he has not responded to my plea.  

Here's Bill's latest essay:  

//////////////////////////////       ///////////////////////

Watching Biden's speech last night and then again today, I was reminded that good governance can be dull. Filled with dry and dusty things like plans, facts, details, knowledge of how government works, intricate assessment of problems and how to fix them.
And good governance lacks things like insulting the people whose votes you need, promising fully developed plans in two weeks for projects upon which you have no intention of spending even five minutes, ad-libs that send a ripple of laughter through your audience and shudders of concern from watching psychiatrists.
Biden did more presidenting in an hour yesterday than Trump did in four years.
Presidenting does not need to be flashy. It does not need to produce goosebumps.
In his good days Biden was never a stemwinder. Young people don't cut class to hear him speak. He rarely transports listeners to the mountaintop. He won't bring tears to your eyes. He might even bore you.
But here's what he will do. He'll put in the work. He will read. He will study. He will know his stuff. He will persuade behind the scenes. He will manage the problem. He will get results. He will empathize. He will care.
And here's what he won't do. He won't golf while hundreds of thousands of Americans die. He won't spend all day obsessing about his image on TV. He won't send his aides out with a plan only to undercut that plan with a tweet an hour later. He won't send loving letters to dictators while alienating our allies. He won't suggest bleach as a solution to a deadly problem. He won't leave office as ignorant as the day he entered. And he won't lead an insurrection against his country.
He will accept his defeats as gracefully as he'll deflect praise to his associates.
Biden won't be flashy. But he will be competent.
He won't thrill. Unless thrill is a vaccine in your arm and more money to your name. 
 
You won't obsess over his every pronouncement. But you will sleep better at night ... Bill Svelmoe

 




No comments:

Post a Comment