Visitors

Saturday, March 21, 2020

S T R E S S

Stress is a killer.. 

Folks who are hip to this find ways to relieve their anxieties, their worries and troubles.  The killer part is that not only do the times create stress for many of us, but for folks who are suggestible .. the subconscious does a number on us as well. 

I say 'us' because as I have ventured out over the past few days, the stress and fear permeate the atmosphere like a cloud.  I think I'm so smart because I find myself aware of this, but not immune.
Royal typewriter: stress free

Recently, I was tutored in the term 'trigger.'  
 I've been aware of triggers ever since I taught my classes about how certain images or words work on us whether we like it or not.  For my dear "dad" just the mention of the term 'tongue depressor' would send him cringing.  We've all thought of fingernails on a blackboard.  Do they still have blackboards?  Would not be the same on 'dry erase!'  

Because the news is relentless: continuing to show the virus over and over again.. and Larry the mattress guy reminding us of dust mites.. and the useless blather repeated about ... well.. all that's been repeated a million times and counting.. right? So. how do we do an End Run on the triggers that may do some folks in?  Stressing us out.

1.  Be aware that there are such things.
2. Recognize them and call them out.. Out loud is good but if you are with other people, your sanity will also be in question.. so.. when alone.. just say 'trigger!' and take a nice deep breath.
3. The deep breath, held for a couple of seconds before releasing it does a number on the carotid artery, signaling the brain to relax.  (look it up..)
4.  Find a distraction.  
Tonight, somehow the entire musical "Hamilton" was streaming on line.  It was not perfect.. at least for me, the video would hang up ever so often.. but the skills of not only Lin-Manuel Miranda's epic idea coming to life with actors, but the music and the technical aspects of this show, combined with the history lesson in rap and rhyme, combined with the basic history that we may recall from High School .. held me in thrall.  We meet  the people who were on the battlements: the political and personal playing fields.. they all come to life.  Distraction.

Not everyone reading my stuff will find it helpful, but recognizing triggers being the key topic.. when we see that we've been 'triggered' and find a way to at least back off from it, the s t r e s s.. the stress that sneaks in subconsciously and creates havoc with our emotions and our thoughts may find balance.   The boogey man may scare us the first time!   But, when he tries the same trick again.. it reminds me of when George W. tried to tell the 'Fool me once' story.. There's no shame in being scared the first time.  Allowing a lingering malaise to dominate a conversation or moments alone or when turning past the images of fear on TV? These can be dealt with.  

Yoga is good.  Meditation is good.  A walk around the block and a chat with a neighbor is good.  Picking fruit from the neighbors' trees is really good.. and the activity of squeezing orange juice or making lemonade is pretty good, too.  
Physical activity and nutrition... 

With Theatre on hiatus for a while... where I would be going to see plays and to spend time focused on writing about them, .. and movies out the window until the tide ebbs.. I think of the few face friends whom I love.. a pal from second grade.. an old fart Republican.. my Boy Scout Brother.. a cousin or two.. women whom I love and have loved.. and imagine that they may hear my voice here .. if my voice is in these words.. My farmer pal on the hill. My golden neighbors. The desert enigma. My love down under.  It feels good to say hello and hope that they think of me from time to time..  with love. 
 It's spring!  
New beginnings. 
Deep breath. 
Onward.
michaelsheehan
Adams Hill
March 21st. Bud and Donna's anniversary. 

1 comment: