Visitors

Sunday, December 23, 2012

DAY Nine

DAY Nine, December 23, 2012






From my porch, now and then, nature makes a comment. Clouds in Southern California are a hit and miss proposition, but when they roll in, I remember Colorado sunsets with thunder heads along the Front Range and sometimes a rainbow.  

When I moved here in 1986, I looked out across Adams Hill and dubbed the big gray house across the way "The Shoe Factory." That was, partly, an homage to Gar Campbell's video that I'd seen back in the days before most folks could shoot video on a phone.  

The neighborhood is mostly unchanged here. Cambridge Drive is quiet with a few new neighbors.  I miss the old ones. 

Clouds. Nature's Artwork. To me, when they pile up like this are every cliche I've ever heard. Tall ships. Castles in the air. Ever changing ephemera. 

Long ago, in a Peanuts comic strip, Lucy, Charlie Brown and Linus are lying on a little hillock looking at the sky.  Lucy asks Linus what he sees in the clouds. 
"I see 'The Stoning of St. Stephen" as realized by the Dutch master Rembrandt van Rijn.  What do you see, Charlie Brown?"  

Charlie Brown pauses for a moment. 
 "I was going to say a ducky and a horsey, but I changed my mind." 

Death and holidays: time for reflection.   

              Look to the clouds.  
                      Look to our hearts.  


No comments:

Post a Comment